Forums » Annointed As One

Christianity and what we believe

• March 24, 2011 11:01 AM EDT

So, as I've said before, I have every day contact with people of the Christian faith.  People ONLY of the Christian faith, who are not open to hearing about other things AS WELL.  So this morning, I am sitting at breakfast with my mother, and she mentions how time seems to be going so fast, and previous times she's mentioned how so many bad things are happening in the world.  She is a very big believer in The Apocalypse, Jesus' second coming, etc.  I mentioned to her the video that drew me to this community, and, not very well, attempted to explain the video.  At first she was open to it and then she asked, "Does it mention Jesus?"

"Well, no," I said, "but it mentions love.  And Jesus is love."  Lost her. 

"Well, if it doesn't mention Jesus then, you know...  I don't want to see it."  It's quite frustrating, because I think Jesus was a great man, a great prophet, and introduced a lot of things that we all know today.  I wish I knew the best approach to this, because I want people to feel love so much, and know that they don't need to be afraid, nor do I want them to wish that this world would come to an end so that they can join an exclusive club up in heaven.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 posts
    March 24, 2011 3:05 PM EDT
    I always try to approach it from a "You are right, but so are they" Perspective. God is omnipotent, in all things, every. single. thing. God is in your neighbor, in christianity and atheism, God is in the trees and in the air, and in your firing neurons of your brain. How can anything that God creates be wrong? Even the "wickedness" of the world is part of God, serves God as a means for lessons and spiritual growth, nothing is outside of God. Jesus's teachings were not about being right or seperating yourself from another aspect of God, but being together, learning from each other, acceptance of each other, and then the love of each other and therefore, the love of God.
  • March 24, 2011 3:18 PM EDT
    Yeah, you are right, I definitely agree. It's just so hard to get other people to see this.
    • 219 posts
    March 24, 2011 4:16 PM EDT

You need a magic wand or a baseball bat to wake them up. LOL. Really I am just kidding :D 

I know a lot of people just like this and they are so close minded that no light can trickle in. For many years I anguished about it, but I truly and deeply have accepted that everyone is here for different reasons and not all of us are going to wake up, but they are not lost, in fact perhaps they agreed to be our teachers to teach US to let go of our judgments and conditions and limitations. I am more apt to believe now that we are all right and that all paths do lead to the same destination. Some routes may take a little longer to get there, but I think they all lead to the same place. 

This post was edited by Ron and Julie (L) at March 24, 2011 4:41 PM EDT
  • March 24, 2011 4:53 PM EDT

Dear Jennifer,

I do recognize the situation you describe at the morning table very well. And in that sense I agree with R&J, without this generation of parents we wouldn't be able to grow....expand our consciousness. In these moments where it's sometimes so tempting to mentally -through words- express what you mean but the force of radiating love through inner silence has helped me more. As that energyfield transforms. Also watch out not to think that 'they will never understand' because it's a thought and you will be surprised what love can do. What I want to underline, take every moment as a 'clean moment' and keep the quantumwindow open:), every breakfast. I guess here is also where the link is with 'The Apocalypse' which is exactly that 'lifting the veil' , the ability to see through the form -liberated from the veil of thought-.

This post was edited by Tamara and Michael Outoftheboxinsight at March 24, 2011 4:56 PM EDT
  • March 24, 2011 6:48 PM EDT
    Ron and Julie, haha I really do feel like that sometimes!

Those are comforting words, thank you. And you are right, I have actually never thought of it that way. My parents raised me to be non-judgmental and accepting of everyone, which I am deeply grateful for. Had I grown up in another environment I may have turned out different... or maybe not ;) I know that we are all going to the same place, and I must rest in comfort knowing that. Thank you for your comment :)

Tamara and Michael, you are absolutely right that this generation of parents has taught us TO grow. Through their unexplored spirituality we have been inspired to learn our own truths, and "expand our consciousness." I like very much what you say about radiating love through inner silence. I think that's beautiful, and I've always heard that voice in my head say, "Just let it be, just let it be," when I wanted to protest in frustration.

Thank you all for your comments :) Love and Light
    • 7 posts
    March 24, 2011 7:57 PM EDT

Sister Jennifer,

I will approach this question for you in a different way. In the video revelations, it does quote bodhisattva Issa, which is another name for "Jesus." As it does at the same time quote him from the "New Testament." Furthermore it also quotes Paul, which is the writer in the New Testament with the most writings. Finally it does use the term Christ. All three terms would be applicable for your conversation with your mother.

In fact, you could use it as a teaching lesson for her as well. You see, many people do not like using the term "Jesus" because it is likely a corruption. In Hebrew, the name Jesus would sound like Yeshua or Yehoshua, which rightly transferred to English, would be Joshua. This is a combination of two words, Yah (God) and Salvation (yeshua). (God is Salvation) Acts 4:12 states: "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we ***will be saved.***

Now, according to tradition, the church teaches that when the name was brought into Greek, they didn't like it, because it had an "a" at the end, which mean that it would have been seen as a feminine word in Greek. To keep it from becoming feminine, they changed the Greek from Iesua, to Iesous; thus, when it translated through time into English, it was translated to Jesus.

Now there are two reasons people do not like this transliteration:

1) Iesous in Greek could be the phonetic sound of Ie (Hail) Sous (Zeus). Thus, every time they say the name Jesus, they may actually be Praising the Greek Deity Zeus, which would be blasphemous to many people.

2) Because Early Christians used the word Jesus, instead of Joshua, while they should be using the same words, some believe that the early Christians read a different word, from Jewish tradition, and assumed it was the correct name of Jesus...

In Ancient Jewish tradition, it was forbidden to speak the name of a foreign god; thus, when Jews witnessed Christians worshiping Jesus as God, they would not have been able to say his name any longer, for it would be against the law.(Ex. 23:13) Therefore, any other gods would have been referred to as "Yemach Shmo u'Zikro" meaning "May his name and memory be blotted out". In fact, The writings of the Toledoth Yeshu, which is dated to the 6th Century A.D., we witness that "Jesus" is called by this name. Thus, from the abbreviated curse of "Yemach Shmo u'Zikro" (Y'SHu) the Greeks Hellenized the name to "Ieosus." Later it became changed to "Jesus" by the King James' translators of the Bible. Therefore, some people refuse to use the name Jesus, as it could be intended as a curse to him.

Now many Muslims and others believe that the name of Jesus should be pronounced as Eesa or Issa, because they believe he was never actually named Yehoshua either. But rather, they believe his real name was Eesa, as named after the brightest northern star in the Ursa Constellation. In Hebrew this star is called Esh or Eesh. The Arabic word would be "`Aasa" or "`Essa" and is defined as "nightly watcher." Thus, in English, we could easily see how this word could be transliterated as Issa, which is what the movie uses. The term bodhisattva comes from ancient Sanskrit and basically means "Enlightened being or essence." Therefore, It is easily understood why people would refer to "Jesus" as bodhisatva Issa. The enlightened being Issa "Jesus."

As a further interesting comment - In the book of Revelation, "Jesus" may have actually be hinted to his name actually being Issa:

Rev. 22:16 I Jesus (Yeshua or Issa) have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the ***bright and morning star.***

I hope this helps, and now you can explain it all to your mom, and tell her that the movie does mention "Jesus," Paul" and refers to "Christ.

Be Blessed.

Yordei Merkava

This post was edited by Yordei Merkava at March 24, 2011 8:10 PM EDT
    • 7 posts
    March 24, 2011 8:40 PM EDT
    Yordei, thank you...that was extremely interesting....:)
    • 1 posts
    March 24, 2011 9:06 PM EDT
    Thank you for this insight. I feel blessed to be able to have someone with your knowledge reveal these things. I like how it is not opinion but based on true translation - something that can be checked out if there is doubt.
  • March 24, 2011 9:23 PM EDT
    Thank you, Yordei :) That was very informative and helpful. I appreciate you sharing that so much. Your information makes me see things much more clearly, and I will be sharing this information with my mother. Blessings and Love :)
    • 7 posts
    March 25, 2011 12:05 AM EDT
    Glad to be of service. Blessings and Love to you as well.
    • 2 posts
    March 26, 2011 8:18 AM EDT

Jennifer, I too am around Christians everyday. Some open minded and others not so much. There are many scriptures that tell us that Jesus is love. Some Christians have never read the Bible and that is where some of the confusion lays. Your mother's generation has been taught to question anything that is not "Jesus". They only know what they know and have not dug deeper into the word of God. DOn't give up on her or her generation. Some are and will come around to the understanding that Love is God, Jesus and the Spirit. Love is going to set us all free. I recommend a book by Rick Joyner, The Final Quest and The Call. They are all about Jesus and his love and what we are expected to do with our love for others. It was a step towards my Awakening and also my fiance.   

• March 26, 2011 10:10 AM EDT
    Uh-um - I'm from Jennifer's mom's generation - I'd like to suggest that the generalization need not apply to all in my age group. I'll be testimony that it is possible for some of us to see the light. There is hope for us. :) As someone else mentioned, we'll all arrive at the same place, some take a different, sometimes longer, route than we do to get there.
  • March 26, 2011 10:48 AM EDT
    Helia, thank you for your book recommendation. :) I will definitely be checking that out. I agree, some are very open and others not. It's fear, I think, don't you? I understand because I used to have it.

Hehe, hey Gwen! Well I'm very happy to hear that you have "seen the light." :) That does give me hope for both of my parents, and I do understand that it can be a difficult transition, it was for me, but you are right, we will all arrive at the same place :)

Love to you both :)
    • 2 posts
    March 26, 2011 2:26 PM EDT
    Gwen, I apologize. I do not mean to offend anyone. It is true that we are all in a different season of life and take different routes to the same destination.
    I do believe it is fear. It has taken me a long time to let go of fears in order to see clearly. I am on a wonderful journey and want to bring everyone along. It is wonderful to connect with others at this time in life.
    Blessing to you all :)
    • 7 posts
    March 26, 2011 7:04 PM EDT
    I also think that we (same generation - ha) are so steeped in what we have heard growing up that it is hard to think outside the box so to speak :) Keep trying, it does get in :)
  • March 26, 2011 10:01 PM EDT
    NP. I think every generation goes through the process of being influenced while young by family, friends, community, family religion, etc..., it may not be fair to assume that all anyone knows is what they have been taught by these influences when young - free thinkers do break free. I've personally made it a point not to evangelize, but rather wait for people to come in their own time. Euphemistically, people will come to the well when they are thirsty. All I can do is show them where is the well. When they come I offer them a cup to drink at their own pace. People have their own timing, the Universe is timeless, so I feel there is no real urgency to foist my truth onto others. Perhaps the greatest expression of love and compassion is to allow others their truth - no matter what that may be.
  • March 26, 2011 10:11 PM EDT
    Though I was thinking, Lynn, the harder conversation may be with our folks. Mine are still alive. Although it was my 73 yo mother, who still plays the organ at my old family church, that gave me a book explaining the Book of Revelation from the paganist's perspective - which describes everything we all are talking about. She was the catalyst that set me on my journey. So you just never know - the older generations my just surprise you with what they know.
  • March 27, 2011 12:22 AM EDT
    "Euphemistically, people will come to the well when they are thirsty. All I can do is show them where is the well. When they come I offer them a cup to drink at their own pace. People have their own timing, the Universe is timeless, so I feel there is no real urgency to foist my truth onto others." I like this, Gwen :) Very well said.
  • March 27, 2011 1:42 PM EDT
    I had a dream last night that everyone on this thread and a few others met for a pot luck dinner. Very good discussions and an enjoyable time.